Agnes Scott College, private institution of higher education for women in Decatur, Georgia, U.S. A liberal arts college allied with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Agnes Scott College offers Bachelor of Arts degrees in some 30 disciplines; several interdisciplinary majors are offered as well, including art history-Bible and religion, art history-English literature, biology-psychology, international relations, and mathematics-economics. In the 1990s the college began offering a Master of Arts in teaching English as a second language, which was open to men and women. Agnes Scott College offers a Global Awareness program in which students study the culture, customs, and language of a foreign country and also spend a month there. The selection of host countries changes each year. Total enrollment is approximately 900.
Agnes Scott College grew out of Decatur Female Seminary, organized in 1889 by members of Decatur Presbyterian Church, led by Reverend Frank Henry Gaines, who was the school’s first president (1889–1923). The school was named for the mother of Colonel George Washington Scott, a Decatur industrialist who in 1890 donated land, equipment, the first building, and money for a permanent endowment to the school. The development of Christian character combined with high standards of scholarship were among the college’s founding ideals. In 1907 it became the first accredited college or university in Georgia.